Monday, June 13, 2011

Bio: Nicole Lordemann

My name is Nicole Lordemann. I was born and raised in the state of Kansas. I grew up in Olathe for most of my childhood. From there I moved to Baldwin City. I became interested in flying at the age of 10. My dad had been working with a group called the Commerative Air Force to schedule a Fly Over for an event at work. And this was where it all began:
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skywrd, for there you have been, and there you will alway long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci. There was not a cloud in the sky as we taxied town the runway in an old BT-13. Wearing a flight jumpsuit, goggles, and an ancient headset, I was ready to go.

"Are you ready for this?' The pilot asked as he closed the canopy to the plane. I could not have been more eager. Three, two, one, and the plane lifted up off the ground. The feeling was that unlike any other. It was exhilarating, the breeze cascading through the cockpit. The view below was astounding; it literally took my breath away. "Grab the controls," he told me. I was reluctant at first, but finally grabbed on. "Turn the plane to the right." As I turned the plane to the right I felt as if I was one with the sky. "You are a pro at this," he said with a grin on his face. I thought about this. Maybe I was? Back on the ground I could not stop talking about the flight to my dad, with whom I owe it all to. If it weren't for him I wouldn't have had the chance to fly with the Commerative Air Force on that beautifuld day. From that point on I contiuously watched the sky. I nagged my dad to take me back. I wanted more and I would stop at nothing to fulfill my dreams of flying.



The picture above is the same plane I flew in when I was 10 years old. The Commemorative Air Force was generous enough to let me take my Senior Pictures with them. Another person I can thank for my love for flying is my dear friend Richard McNett. I met him through my mother who worked with him in the Gardner Lions Club. One weekend they were having a barbeque at the airport to raise money for the club. At this time Richard was doing flights for the Young Eagles and took me up in his airplane. I absolutely loved it! To this day we are the best of friends. Every time I visit home I stop to visit my aviation buddy. We share stories of flying. He has recently lost his medical due to vision problems and has had to sell his plane. Which is why it is my goal to take him flying with me as soon as possible.

I currently hold my Private and Instrument ratings. I plan to start working on my commercial rating after the race is over.

I am very active on campus and participate in several clubs. One being Women in Aviation in which I am the Secretary and another being Alpha Eta Rho International Aviation Fraternity in which I am also the Secretary.

I love being involved in so many aviation clubs. One of the major perks of being in the WAI (Women in Aviation International) is that each year we get to go to the annual conference and network with other female pilots. It is basically like a job fair. There are boths set up from every aviation company imaginable. They also have educational sessions daily where you can learn about topics such as : Being a Pilot Mom, Corporate Aviation, Flying with the Airlines, Mountain Flying and so on.

Megan and I have been friends since the beginning of Freshman year. Over this time we have taken many classes together and spent numerous hours studying together. We have built a friendship that will last a lifetime.

No comments: